The November issue of Gayot, released yesterday, is its annual restaurant issue, in the process of which they took a nice little stab at food bloggers ("we were professionally writing about restaurants worldwide before most of those people learned their ABCs"). Anyway, in what's becoming quite the awards month, several San Francisco restaurants were included in the medley of special lists. As with most national rankings, not much makes sense. Here are the Bay Area representatives:
1) Top 40 Restaurants in the US: Cyrus, The Dining Room at the Ritz, Danko, Michael Mina, Silks.
2) Top 10 New Restaurants in the US: Spruce. Also of note: in the "Others" section, The Restaurant at Meadowood gets a nod.
3) Top 10 Steakhouses in the US: LarkCreekSteak
4) Top 5 Pastry Chefs: No Bay Area reps
5) Rising Chefs: No Bay Area reps
Regarding the top 40 list: Say whaaa? Including Silks ahead of Manresa, Chez Panisse, Aqua and about a dozen others is pretty odd, if not inexcusable. And we're
assuming hoping The French Laundry isn't on the list because Per Se is, but shouldn't it be the other way around?
· Restaurant Issue 2007 [Gayot]
Complain away, San Francisco. The comments field is your oyster.