Welcome to another edition of the Plywood Report, your all-encompassing examination of soon-to-open restaurants all around the city. See some plywood in your 'hood? We accept tips. Bonus points and a Thomas Keller bobblehead doll if you include photos.
The Best-O-Burger interior: we always were a sucker for exposed brick.
1) Financial District: Commence the slider watch! Now that Mecca is back up and running, Randy Lewis and Stephen Weber have turned their focus to Best-O-Burger, their gourmet mini-burger joint moving into the old Mrs. Fields space at 493 Pine, right off the corner of Belden. The old cookie overhang is still there, but the (rather small) place has been gutted and it looks like work has just started. Original opening was set for August, but last we heard, Christmas was the word. Also, check out the preliminary logo schemes on the official site. [PLYWOOD]
2) The Sunset: Recently seen: plenty of advertising for the cocktail and lounge area for the upcoming Pacific Catch on the corner of 9th and Lincoln. The place is very big, particularly when compared to the Marina branch, and the bar area will play a prominent role. [PLYWOOD]
3) Fisherman's Wharf: At the foot of Ghirardelli Square lies the newest branch of O'Neill's Irish Pub. Emails a tipster, "I snapped this pic of the bar area at O'Neill's. They were moving furniture in." A call to the O'Neill's folks indicates the opening date is in about two weeks, but a firm date hasn't been set yet. [PLYWOOD]
4) Hayes Valley: As reported by the Tablehopper last week, Sidney Wong is attempting to open neighboring restaurants. We can't help but wonder if the strikingly similar appearances of Sage (340 Grove) and Blue Muse (370 Grove) are intentional or not. Both have long counters parallel to the street, with shallow dining areas two steps above street level. Lots of blonde wood too. [PLYWOOD]
5) SoMa/FiDi: As reported last week, Mixt Greens will be opening a third location on 560 Mission. We neglected to mention what building that happens to be: the JP Morgan Chase Building. Oh yes. [PLYWOOD]
As always, your plywood sightings to firstname.lastname@example.org.