And now, another edition of the Plywood Report, your regular, all-encompassing chronicle of the next generation of restaurants and bars to grace our fair city. Notice something in your neighborhood? Do let us know. Bonus points if you include photos.
1) The Embarcadero: Emaileth a reader, reporting mysterious doings from 100 Brannan Street: "Any news what is going on with the Embarcadero and Brannan location that formerly housed Sutra, La Suite, Slanted Door, and Embarko? Many months after Sutra closed its doors, there is a lot of activity now, with the space currently being torn down to the concrete." We investigated, and indeed, it is aflurry with workers stripping the place, but no word on what's going on. Anyone? [PRE-PLYWOOD]
2) North Beach: The second photo in the gallery above features the long-anticipated first look inside Swirl Culture, once known as Honeydoo and the frozen yogurt shop that famously divided North Beach neighborhood associations. Though it's still too early if the design will follow the footsteps of the Pinkberry look (or, ahem, Jubili), work is finally in full swing and May is the aim. [PLYWOOD]
3) Tenderloin: When Alcademics broke news of the Bourbon & Branch extension, the Plywood Photo Patrol was dispatched ASAP to the barbershop next door to downtown's most famous speakeasy. The "secret room" space still has a ways to go, but if you use your imagination, you can visualize local 23-year-old billionaires rolling eyes at fellow patrons. [PLYWOOD]
4) SoMa: On the corner of Ninth and Folsom, we have our first look inside the space that will house Medici Lounge, and—we're going out on a limb here—but it looks like it probably won't make its January opening date. Further reading on Medici Lounge here. [PLYWOOD]
5) Financial District: Rounding out this edition of the Plywood Report is an update from Best-O-Burger, the gourmet slider joint slated for late spring/early summer. The last picture in the gallery above reveals the steady evolution going on right around the corner from Belden Place. You can see the early formations of what looks to be the ordering counter, and it looks like the exposed brick will soon become unexposed brick. [PLYWOOD]