And now, another edition of the Plywood Report, your regular, all-encompassing chronicle of the next generation of restaurants and bars to grace our fair city. Notice something in your neighborhood? Do let us know. Bonus points if you include photos.
1) SoMa: Leading off the show this week, we have Buck Tavern, moving into the old Chinese restaurant right across Market Street from the Zuni/CAV/Espetus strip. As mentioned way back when, it's a new pub-style joint from the same folks behind the Gallery Lounge and DaDa, though don't expect the same artsy vibe—a pool table has already moved itself into the space. Sources say it's a month away. [PLYWOOD]
2) Rincon Center: Downtown workers will get another new drinking venue when Martini Park opens in fall 2008. Judging from its website, it also has locations in Ohio, Texas and Chicago, and it bills itself as "a playground for adults." Get excited, Rincon workers: it's like a classier version of Jillian's. [PLYWOOD]
3) Union Square: Last week, someone wondered about Candy Darling, right across the street from Fleur de Lys, some blocks up from Union Square. Now, in the photo gallery above, you can peep the interior, study it, and fashion some reasonable theories as to the nature of Candy Darling. The evidence: a counter a few feet from the door, no tables yet, big workspace, industrial machines in the back. Go! [PLYWOOD]
4) Financial District: A tipster sends in a photo of the newly-papered storefront at 260 Kearny, where a liquor license application for Cafe Verde has been posted. The name on the application is the same as the one on the now-shuttered Cafe Verde that used to be in North Beach, so it's likely to be a reincarnation of the Green Street cafe. [Eater Inbox]
5) Polk Gulch: Even though the Polk Street Station Diner has been shuttered since late summer '07, the corner of Polk and Pine has some modern-looking renderings in its windows for a place simply called Booth. It looks to be a trendy, faux-retro place almost along the lines of Fog City Diner. No word on the status of an arrival date. [PLYWOOD]