Welcome back to the Plywood Report, your regular, all-encompassing chronicle of the next generation of restaurants to grace our fair city. Spot something new on your block? The tip line awaits. Bonus points and one free Earth Day if you include photos.
1) Pacific Heights: On California Street, all signs of Zao Noodle Bar are long gone, and Pizzeria Delfina has already started to move into the space. The Stolls have even foregone the usual methods of window paper and canvassed their new baby in special pizza boxes. Late summer remains the aim. [PLYWOOD]
2) Polk Gulch: Up next in the gallery is our first look inside Booth, the "nouveau diner" going into the old Polk Street Station space. We've seen the renderings before, and from what we've been reading elsewhere, the optimistic aim is a June opening, but a peek behind the paper reveals that not much has been done with the space beyond the initial gutting. I.e., rocks abound. A June arrival would indeed be optimistic, but we're thinking it'll be much later than that for this one. [PLYWOOD]
3) Pacific Heights: Along with Pizzeria Delfina and Dosa, the most anticipated sequel to arrive in the second half of 2008 is surely Out the Door. It's been some while since we've checked in with the latest from Charles Phan (December, to be precise), but things seem to be rolling right along at 2232 Bush Street. It's still not close to its finishing phases, but the layout of the space is taking shape. [PLYWOOD]
4) Financial District: We're curious to hear FiDi folks' take on the arrival of Bonbon, the pastry shop from the folks behind Plouf, Garcon and Chouchou that is replacing Kimi's Pizza at 308 Kearny (discussed in last week's Scoop). That stretch of Kearny lives off the lunch rush, so a specialty pastry shop—even one serving some savory bits—might be rolling the dice. [PLYWOOD]
5) Market Street: Over on the in-between neighborhood stretch of Market Street, Destino is expanding into the former drycleaner space directly next door. No word on whether the expansion will shutter Destino temporarily, but as seen above, the new space is pretty small, very narrow, and should play nicely in the bigger scheme of things for Destino. [PLYWOOD]