Right on schedule, tonight marks the debut of South replacement Marlowe. It's the bistro brainchild of owner Anna Weinberg and chef Jennifer Puccio, last seen garnering three stars at Cortez. The menus are now up online and for now, consist of dinner and bar versions. If all goes to plan, weekday lunch will launch next week.
But first, let's take a look at the five winners from Marlowe's window quote contest. You'll recall that the restaurant's front window will be decorated in memorable food quotes, and to get the buzz mounting earlier this month, Weinberg and co. asked locals to share their favorite/funniest/most touching food-related quotes, with the chance to be immortalized on Townsend Street.
The five winning quotes that will join Marlowe's window of quotes:
1. "There's nothing I like more in the morning than a good, sharp mandolin" - Autofuss, submitted by Autofuss
2. "Take it from somebody who has been around for a million years: When you get right down to it, food is practically the whole story every time." - Kurt Vonnegut, submitted by Nancy Depper
3. "When I go to a restaurant, I always ask for a chicken and an egg, to see which comes first." - Anonymous, submitted by Cody Elam
4. "Eating ruins a good appetite" - Winston Churchill, submitted by Simon Woolley
5. "Food is the most primitive form of comfort." - Sheila Graham, submitted by Leah and Andy Grass
330 Townsend Street, between Fourth and Fifth Streets; 415-974-5599; website
· Upcoming Marlowe Seeks Your Favorite Food Quotes [~ESF~]
[Photo: Zoom Photography]