- illy art director Carlo Bach designed these "chandeliers" to include 96 limited edition artist designed espresso cups.
- Master Barista Giorgio Milos haeds up illy's international barista training program. He's in town training staff here now.
- A photo installation by Sebastiano Selgado depicts the coffee growing communities of the world.
- A piece in the latest artist cup collection, available for sale.
Tomorrow San Francisco gets the first free-standing American Espressamente illy cafe from Italian espresso giant illy. The time to take a first look is right now: 21 seats inside, 20 or so in an outdoor seating area, and a retail section, selling beans, machines and the latest artist cup collaboration with Francesco Clemente. Espressos are pulled from manual lever machines made especially for the cafe by Nuova Simonelli. Perhaps most interesting of all: the revered Joyce Goldstein has designed the menu here. (Her dearly departed Square One was San Francisco's first restaurant to offer illy in 1985.) Starting tomorrow, hours shall be Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Now take a look at what Goldstein put together after the hop.
Panini (many of the below can be toasted as well)
· Smoked salmon , shaved cucumbers and optional shaved red onion, horseradish cream cheese
· Grilled fontina cheese with prosciutto
· Frittata “del giorno” - mayonnaise, lettuce, (and tomatoes in season)
· Tuna - red onion, roasted peppers, black olive aioli,, arugula
· Prosciutto - Gorgonzola butter and walnuts, and sliced pear or apple
· Crabmeat - chive and lemon zest mayonnaise, celery, watercress
· Salami toscana - provolone, mustard mayonnaise
· Turkey - salsa verde, optional roasted peppers, or cheese and lettuces
· Mortadella from Bologna - Provolone, mustard
· T Quattro formaggi - Mozzarella, fontina, groviera and parmigiano, Acme rosemary slab *(can add tomatoes in season or sun dried tomatoes )
· Ham, groviera cheese, mostarda di frutta
· In the summer months, the café will offer a Caprese panino with summer tomatoes, mozzarella and basil
· Insalata Cesare - romaine, Caesar dressing and parmesan
· Insalata della casa - romaine, carrots, celery, chickpeas, salami , green onions olives, red wine or garlic vinaigrette
· White bean salad with tuna, red onion and celery, sun dried tomato vinaigrette or red wine vinaigrette
· Shaved fennel, orange slices, oil cured olives, arugula - black pepper citrus dressing
· Farro salad - Italian wheat salad with garden vegetables, mint, basil, and arugula, red wine vinaigrette
· All illy Coverage [~ ESF ~]