Thanksgiving is days away. Do you know where your pie is? If you’ve been heeding a Thanksgiving checklist, you’ve probably made your pie arrangements. If you haven’t, Eater’s got your back. Here, find a list of the city’s best options to score last-minute pies. Most of these places prefer advance orders, but a handful can fulfill your pie prescription over-the-counter. If your favorite place didn’t make the list, give a holler it in the comments.
1) Mission Beach Café: Pastry chef Alan Carter's always dazzling dessert line-up includes holiday additions: pumpkin hazelnut, chocolate pecan, and pear quince, among others. For a Wednesday pickup, place your order by Tuesday morning at the latest.
2) Mission Pie: Walnut pie—“California’s answer to pecan”—and vegan apple-cranberry crumb top are just two of the options offered at this neighborhood pie hub. The cut-off for Thanksgiving pre-orders was Sunday, but a limited number of pies will be kept available for walk-in purchase. If you’d like to end your meal with more dinner, the savory mushroom galette with Point Reyes blue cheese might be your best bet.
3) Three Babes Bakeshop: The last day for pre-orders was Saturday (d’oh), but Three Babes Bakeshop will offer walk-in pies. For each pie sold from now until Turkey Day, Three Babes will donate 5% of the purchase price to one of three San Francisco charities – The SF Food Bank, The San Francisco Women’s Clinic, or The San Francisco Green Schoolyard Initiative.
4) Pietisserie: Pretzel-crusted Tcho chocolate-cream pie and spiced-apple with cardamom-oat topping are just two of this bakeshop’s atypical offerings. Special orders must be picked up in downtown Oakland, but ready-made pies are available at Real Foods locations, Farm Fresh to You in the Ferry Building, and Buffalo Whole Foods.
5) Chile Pies and Ice Cream: These pies are available in metal tins or, for a $5 deposit, glass pie dishes. If you want to trick your guests into thinking that you baked dessert, choose the latter. A limited number of OTC pies will be available, but you’d be wise to call ahead. Bonus for vegans: the apple chai pie is dairy-free.
6) Joey and Pat’s Italian Bakery and Cafe: It might be a month old, but this Mission bakery is old-school inside and out. Time-tested pumpkin, apple, and cherry pies can be ordered through Tuesday evening and picked up until Wednesday at 2 p.m.
7) Butter Love Bakeshop: Butter Love is fully committed with special orders, but their pies will be available at Lilah Belle’s right up until Thanksgiving day. Take your pick from pumpkin, pecan, cranberry butter, and apple. For those tempted to (half) bake their own pie, Butter Love may also offer pre-made pie dough – call or email for more information.
8) Pie Fridays: By special order only, the people behind this weekend pie cart are offering apple, apple crumble, key lime, chocolate-maple pecan, chocolate pumpkin, pumpkin with gingersnap cookie crust, and sweet potato. Pick up your pies at a TBA location on Wednesday night for quick reheating on Thursday.
9) Miz Lynn’s Pies: “From Nancy Pelosi to Yelp, our sweet potato pie is what we’re known for,” says Ernest East of Miz Lynn’s. East uses his father’s family’s recipe for the sweet potato, while his Lemon Chess Pie was his mother’s specialty. Buy an 8-inch pie or a six-pack of miniatures, available at Harvest Urban Market, by special order, or for delivery ($5 delivery charge applies). Contact Miz Lynn’s for more information.