Former Cliff House/Aqua chef George Morrone—last seen on the industry scene at his one-time protege, Michael Mina's 20th Anniversary dinner party—has decided to join the land of pop-up dinners. Today Hog & Rocks breaks the news about "Morrone Mondays," a new series of dinners Morrone will cook with Hog & Rocks chef-owner Scott Youkilis for the next six Mondays (through April 16th). The four course dinner will cost $55, highlighting "pork, oysters and seasonal vegetables prepared and plated in a simple fashion." Hog & Rocks bar program consultant Scott Beattie will be on hand to shake up cocktail pairings for the food, and Jake Godby of Humphry Slocombe will provide dessert.
So how on earth did this come about? As it turns out, Morrone lives just a few blocks away from Hog & Rocks, and the idea grew out of his friendship with Youkilis. Hog & Rocks is normally walk-in only, but they'll accept reservations for Morrone Mondays. Now take a look at the first two menu sketches they're working on, after the hop.
Menu #1 (March 12)
Bouche - fried oyster (horseradish, lemon marinade), lemon creme fraiche, prosciutto crisp, paper cone
1. Mushroom, bloomsdale spinach, bacon vin, pickled pearl onion (red wine), turmeric brine
2. Mussels, cilantro broth, hard chorizo, baguette, chorizo butter/aioli
3. Five peppercorn pork tender, apple butter, braised red cabbage, parsnip (3 purees)
4. Creme brûlée? Pudding more likely
Menu #2 (March 19)
1. Ham wrapped oyster, piquillo pepper glissage
2. Asparagus, pistachio vin, spiced pistachio, ham potato croquette
3. Pork Short Ribs or roulade of shank, dried fruit quinoa salad, pork mustard demi
4. Ginger cake and vanilla ice cream
Menus on subsequent Mondays are still TBD.
· All George Morrone Coverage [~ ESF ~]