[Photo: Stacy Ventura]
Opening March 28 in the former blacksmith warehouse more recently known as Bing Crosby's restaurant, Corners Tavern (1342 Broadway Plaza) is taking it back to Walnut Creek's old-school roots. Apparently the city was first named the Corners in 1849. A collaboration between experienced restaurateurs Mitchell and Steven Rosenthal and Doug Washington (Town Hall, Salt House, Anchor & Hope) and Tim Harmon and Jon Swanson (Paragon, El Dorado Kitchen), the restaurant draws inspiration from the classic English pub, adding in whimsical design details that probably wouldn't be found in Old Blighty. Hallucinatory floor patterns are created by pennies, snake cages divide seats in the lounge, faux taxidermy livens up the walls, and the maple-top bar is shaped like a horseshoe.
Chef Esteban Escobar has designed a menu of "contemporary American soulful food," which translates to the plate in the form of duck fat roasted potatoes, housemade lamb sausages, braised artichokes with fennel and chorizo and such. In a word: meaty. Nicole Burke is in charge of the booze, giving extra attention to small, local producers, craft beers and a cocktail list of revamped classics and originals. Visit Corners Tavern tomorrow when it opens to the public at 5:30 p.m. For hours and full menus, see the website.
· All Corners Tavern Coverage [~ ESF ~]