- The dining room, seen from above.
- Wood for the open fire doubles as decor.
- Skenes' reading list.
- A chef prepping in the open kitchen.
- The open hearth, as evidence by the burn marks on the wall.
- The spice rack.
- One of the handful of tables.
- Even the fridge is visible.
- Hand-blown stemware.
- Hand-written menus.
- Poultry cooling in the walk-in.
- Every chair comes with its own cashmere throw.
- The new bar, Saison's first.
- Hand-etched Japanese cocktail glasses.
- The exterior of 178 Townsend Street.
[Photos: Molly DeCoudreaux]
Saison's new space in the historic California Electric Light Company building at 3rd and Townsend will open its doors tomorrow, and as we learned from chef Joshua Skenes earlier this week, he's planning to make it his home for quite some time (even going so far as to move in upstairs). The layout of the new dining room is one-of-a-kind, with an open kitchen that effectively makes every one of the 18 seats a chef's table. The top-of-the-line Molteni stove from Saison's original home on Folsom Street made the trip, and they've also managed to secure permitting for their signature wood-burning oven.
On the beverage side, sommelier Mark Bright now has access to a 5,000-bottle wine cellar, and there's a brand-new bar, which will play host to the restaurant's first-ever spirit and cocktail program. All this opulence comes at a price: Skenes told Eater last year that he was planning for the renovation to run him around $2.2 million.
There's only one menu option at the new Saison: the 18-20 course tasting menu, which runs $248, the same price as the old location. Wine pairings are an additional $148, making Saison the most expensive meal in the city. Guests are advised to allot three hours for their meal. Reservations are available at OpenTable, and with only a handful of spots each night, we're guessing even the hefty price tag won't stop this from becoming one of the hottest tickets in town.
· Joshua Skenes Talks Saison 3.0's Planned Friday Opening [~ ESF ~]
· All Saison coverage [~ ESF ~]