La Cocina's Mission headquarters. [Photo: Jim 'N' Nicks]
La Cocina has long been a pet charity for San Francisco chefs, who come out in force at its annual Street Food Festival and offer support to the budding culinary entrepreneurs (primarily women and immigrants) who go through its incubator program. So it's no surprise that the auction items the charity has been able to rustle up from local restaurants this year are best described as sick, and can be purchased guilt-free despite their hefty price tags, as they benefit a very good cause. Here's some of the best stuff up for bid this year, and the current price of each item:
· A cooking demo and dinner for 12 from Craig Stoll (Delfina), Daniel Patterson (Coi), and Bill Corbett (The Absinthe Group) at the San Francisco Cooking School. $10,000 minimum; no bidders as of yet.
· Brew beer with Magnolia's Dave McLean, then have lunch. $300 minimum; no bidders as of yet.
· Skip the line at RoliRoti, and tote back 12 porchetta sandwiches. (If time is money, then avoiding the hour-long line at peak hours has to be worth plenty.) Currently at $300, with one bidder.
· A cooking class for six from Hoss Zare, who'll teach you to make his famous Persian meatballs. $750 minimum; no bidders as of yet.
· A reservation anytime you want, dinner for four, and two bottles of wine at State Bird Provisions. Unsurprisingly, this is one of the most popular items available. Currently at $875, with 19 bids.
· Learn to make your own ice cream at Three Twins, and never buy a cone of Lemon Cookie again. Currently at $375, with one bidder.
· Create and name your own sandwich at Wise Sons Deli, which will be on the menu for two weeks, and get eight of them for free. Currently at $218, with six bids.
· A tequila tasting with Joanne Weir and Dilsa Lugo of Los Cilantros at Weir's house, plus three bottles of tequila and a $100 Copita gift card. Currently at $218, with six bids. $1,200 minimum; no bidders as of yet.
Other opportunities include a Tacolicious taco bar for 20, DIY salumi with Fatted Calf, and a VIP tour of St. George Spirits. Most auctions end in the next 3-4 days, so get bidding.
· La Cocina's Online Auction [La Cocina]
· Got Cash To Burn? La Cocina's Online Auction Has Sweet S.F. Prizes [SFoodie]