The annual San Francisco magazine food issue is on newsstands today, and in addition to Josh Sens' annual State of the Union address of local dishes, the magazine named six chefs and food professionals as their best of the year. To add to the fun, the list was selected by previous alumni of the awards, from Michelle Polzine to Thomas McNaughton to Christopher Kostow. It's a well-traveled list, with winners who've already taken home James Beard Awards, Chronicle Rising Star Chef honors, and Food & Wine Best New Pastry Chef laurels.
· Best Chef: Stuart Brioza and Nicole Krasinski, State Bird Provisions
· Best Restaurateur: James Syhabout, Commis/Hawker Fare/Box & Bells
· Best Pastry Chef: Stephanie Prida, Manresa
· Rising Star Chef: Brett Cooper, Outerlands
· Best Booze Curator: Ceri Smith, Biondivino
As an added bonus, the list features some new info on the State Bird team's previously announced second restaurant, The Progress. It'll apparently have large plates like mixed grills and small birds, and the decor is described as "1980s clubhouse meets Parks & Rec." Opening is looking like mid-2014.
· Best Chefs of the Year: 2013 [SF Mag]