The Chronicle announced their five newest Rising Star Chefs on Sunday, and there's a woman on the list for the first time in five years: Jessica Largey, chef de cuisine of Manresa, who's also an Eater Young Gun, StarChefs Rising Star, and James Beard Rising Star Chef nominee. She's joined by Dante Cecchini (Marlowe), James LaLonde (Bocadillos), Jared Rogers (Picco), and Timmy Malloy (Local's Corner), all of whom are comparative newcomers to the fancy-chef stakes; hopefully their names will be getting national attention very soon.
Here are some fun facts from their interviews:
· Cecchini, Marlowe's chef de cuisine of seven months, also has his own pop-up, Wander, and a pet project in the form of a 1971 VW Beetle.
· LaLonde actually came to SF to be a professional skateboarder.
· Largey sometimes works 20-hour days helping Manresa's bakers sell their bread at a farmer's market before heading into the restaurant for her shift.
· Malloy managed to make the list despite not having a real stove in his restaurant's kitchen—all of Local's Corner's food is cooked via sous-vide, induction burners, and a convection oven.
· Rogers gave up on a family legacy at Harvard to go to cooking school instead.
· 2014 Rising Star Chefs [Chron]
· Quince, Benu, Acquerello Chefs Are 2013 Chron Rising Stars [~ ESF ~]
· The Chronicle Announces Its 2012 Rising Star Chefs [~ ESF ~]