With dozens of local restaurants, craft breweries, cocktail bars, and even farmers participating, Outside Lands has become known almost as much for its food as for its musical offerings. And the many musicians and celebrities who make the festival fun definitely enjoy partaking. Here, for your enjoyment, is a sample of what the stars ate at Outside Lands, with intel on the gastronomic activities of Sir Patrick Stewart, Death Cab for Cutie, and Kanye West and Kim Kardashian.
· Kanye West and Kim Kardashian apparently have a thing for Michael Tusk's food. After dining at Cotogna multiple times (including separate shifts on Friday, as SFist noted), they came back after Kanye's Outside Lands performance for a meal at Quince's during-renovations pop-up, CurATE, complete with an entourage of 30.
· Humphry Slocombe's booth got a visit from none other than Sir Patrick Stewart, who was enjoying what he said was his "first music festival." (Pretty adventurous for a 74-year-old!) He had the shop's special festival-only Chocolate Gold Rush flavor.
On top of that, Stewart and wife Sunny Ozell dropped into State Bird Provisions for dinner. "State Bird Provisions is really and truly a completely fucking remarkable restaurant," Ozell said on Facebook.
· Flaming Lips lead singer Wayne Coyne really likes Woodhouse Fish Co.'s lobster rolls. After eating two on Saturday, he came back on Sunday for a third before his band's set. Tycho also swung by for a snack.
· Food Is the New Rock brought a tray of The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen's offerings backstage, where they were devoured by Capital Cities, Grouplove, Warpaint, The Kooks, and Local Natives. The crispy brussels sprouts were particularly popular.
· Thomas Middleditch, also known as Richard from HBO's Silicon Valley, had a pulled-pork sandwich from the Rib Whip before doing stand-up with his co-stars in the comedy tent.
· Another hungry comedian was Craig Robinson, who grabbed an ice-cream sandwich from Three Twins and hung out at the GastroMagic stage to catch Lewis Black and the Southpaw BBQ folks.
· The members of Death Cab For Cutie ate some fried plantain and chicken burritos from the Little Chihuahua after finishing up their Saturday-evening set.
And some insight into the massive quantities of food that festivalgoers went through this weekend:
· Cheese Lands served over 1,000 pounds of cheese and 200 pounds of cured Virginia ham.
· Wise Sons went through a ton each (literally) of pastrami and french fries, plus 55 gallons of Russian dressing, for their pastrami cheese fries.
· Freshroll chopped up 3,000 jalapeños and served 1,500 pounds of pickled veggies in their banh mi.
· The Rib Whip served over 600 pounds of pulled pork and 300 pounds of smoked chicken.
· VIPs couldn't get enough of Global Gourmet's Baja fish and chip tacos; they served 2,650 of them in the limited section alone.
· The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen burned through 900 loaves of bread, 800 pounds of cheese, and 850 pounds of those brussels sprouts.
· Little Skillet's fryer churned out 6,000 pieces of chicken, while their waffle irons busted out over 3,000 waffles (that's around 400 waffles an hour).
· Endless Summer Sweets' fryer was also heavily occupied, with over 3,000 funnel cakes made.
Did you witness any celebrities dining or drinking at Outside Lands, either from behind the counter or around the festival? We'll be updating this post as we get more intel, so let us know and we'll add them to the list.