April Fool's Day is upon us, and in addition to the full-scale commitment of Souvla turning their entire restaurant into a one-day-only taqueria (complete with guest donkey appearance), a number of other locals in food have decided to play pranks of their own. Here's a rundown of some of today's more amusing April Fool's items; if you've got one to share, hit up the tipline and we'll update accordingly.
- Leave it to the Boba Guys to stay on-trend by offering boba bone broth. "A refreshing combo of savory and sweet!" [@bobaguys]
- The San Francisco Cooking School knows that "cooking is overrated. And so is eating. All you really want to do is Instagram photos to show off to your friends, so what's better than a class that has NO cooking, NO eating, and four hours of pure Instagram bliss?" Enter Insta-Food, a four-hour Instagramming seminar taught by the suspiciously named Graham Worthy. They'll have on-site makeup artists to swipe your cheek with flour for that "caught baking" look. [SFCS]
- Just in case The Bold Italic got your hopes up, the lines at Brenda's, Bi-Rite Creamery, Smitten Ice Cream, Tartine Bakery, Nopa, and 4505 Burgers & BBQ are most definitely not for hand jobs. [The Bold Italic]
- As much as we wish this one was true, it's pretty safe to say that Perdition Smokehouse won't be getting in a bunch of ultra-rare brews from Belgium's Cantillion anytime soon, especially in cans. [Facebook]
- The mysterious disappearance of The Hog's Apothecary's beloved mascot, Theo the Pig, had us wondering if he'd been butchered for firewood, but we're told he's going to make a reappearance sometime before the end of the day. [Facebook]
- Chris Cosentino is very excited to be a contestant on New Nordic, New Jersey, the 18-episode, Big Brother-style reality show starring Rene Redzepi and the staff of Noma. And apparently Alice Waters is producing it! [@offalchris]