The Saratoga opens tonight (11/10), bringing a glamorous two-story restaurant and bar to the heart of the Tendernob at Post and Larkin. From Bacchus Management Group (Spruce, The Village Pub), The Saratoga has a huge inventory of spirits, vintage chartreuse, and a menu of luxurious comfort food.
The building was built in 1907, shortly after the 1906 earthquake that devastated the city. It was originally a hotel (and more recently an SRO), before Bacchus founder Tim Stannard happened upon the aging landmark three years ago. The lengthy renovation included revealing the original Carnegie steel beams, and exposed brick. “We wanted it to feel like 1925, but modern,” explained Stannard.
The upstairs bar area seats 64 and features an impressive wall of liquor, backlit for maximum effect above the bar; comfy leather seats with brass studs line the bar, while the rest of the upstairs dining area is a mix of banquettes and tables. In the center of the room, a multi-tiered steel and glass chandelier dangles down into the stairwell leading to the downstairs dining room. The interior was designed by Stephen Brady; the chandelier was designed by Coup D’Etat and Magnus Schevene (an artist and designer who also contributed railings and other metal details).
Meanwhile, the downstairs is a hushed haven, with grey mohair gallery walls covered in vintage and new art curated by Lost Art Salon in the Mission. The Carrara marble bar is the center of the room, while a long banquette with white tablecloth-covered tables line the room. This room is reservation only, and with only 23 seats it’s going to be a hot ticket for elegant dining. (Check out the full menu here.)
The Saratoga officially opens Thursday, November 10, daily from 5 p.m.- 1 p.m.