As of today, San Francisco has a true Italian gelato shop in its midst. Founders Antonio Massimini and Henri Waltenspühl both attended Bologna’s Carpigiani Gelato University with the goal of opening Coletta Gelato. Now that goal is a reality, and Coletta opens with very traditional gelato techniques, but uniquely Californian flavors.
The shop, located at 685 Harrison St., is more lab than store, with a “clean room” where the duo makes the gelato base into flavors such as California pistachio with Maldon sea salt, Irish coffee, and grapefruit sorbet. Massimi and Waltenspühl are committed to the details, serving their gelato 10 degrees warmer than ice cream, which is apparently the optimal temperature.
Scoops and pints are for sale at the shop, and the Coletta Cruiser, a bike gelato stand, will debut later this year. Coletta is open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., and the full flavor list is below.
- California Pistachio with Maldon Sea Salt
- Almost Chai (fior di latte infused with cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger)
- Crunchy California Almond (almond gelato with roasted almonds)
- Coconut, Banana, Rum
- Irish Coffee with a ribbon of nuts
- Mint Chip Stracciatella
- Amaretto, Orange Zest & Roasted Almonds
- Mango Sorbet
- Grapefruit Sorbet