Tartine Manufactory opened last August with a fire in its belly, offering coffee, ice cream, bread, lunch, and eventually dinner. It’s been a busy year for the team there, too, considering the enormity of the undertaking, while continuing to evolve the concept over time. Now, things seem to be settling into the appropriate groove, with the addition of all day dining, and table service during lunch.
The lauded kitchen — it was nominated for a James Beard Award 2017, and was just named a semifinalist for Bon Appetit’s Best New Restaurants — is now in the hands of co-executive chefs Bill Niles and Christa Chase, both of whom have been at the restaurant since the very beginning. (Opening chef Sam Goinsalvos moved onto other Tartine projects several months ago.) “They have been in the bay area for a really long time, cooking in restaurants that celebrate everything we have here,” said Chad Robertson, co-founder of Tartine. “Bill and Christa can put together dishes that are healthy and fast, but also ambitious.”
Together, the chefs will develop all savory food programs as Tartine continues to grow, including what will go into LA’s Manufactory and upcoming cafes; San Francisco will remain the epicenter of R&D and big ideas. They’re also behind many of the collaborations series that have come through the Manufactory, including a recent dinner celebrating women chefs, and a dinner with Chris Bianco.
Here’s the full rundown of what’s changing at Tartine Manufactory, effective in September:
- New co-executive chefs: Bill Niles and Christa Chase
- Table service and reservations will be available at lunch (and continue to be available at dinner), with a small section reserved as a first-come, first-served are for those stopping by for pastries and coffee
- The restaurant will be open continuously from 7:30 a.m.- 10 p.m. (varies by day)
- There will be an abbreviated menu of smaller bites like smorrebrods and chicken liver toast available in the afternoon
- A full liquor license is currently being finalized, so cocktails will join the beverage menu soon
“Right now we’re running two different restaurants, but we really want to be one restaurant,” said Vinny Eng, wine director and manager. “We were missing out on the opportunity to give everyone the complete experience, something we didn’t really learn until we were open.”
Stay tuned for more on when diners can expect to make reservations, and dine all day.
- Tartine Manufactory [Official Site]