A fire in the building that houses popular Greek taverna-style restaurant Kokkari Estiatorio has been contained and no injuries were sustained. Reached by phone, a representative for the 200 Jackson Street restaurant said it was closed for the moment and declined to comment further.
Update, 2:50 p.m.: Kokkari will be open for dinner this evening, a reservationist for the restaurant says, and there was apparently no damage to the restaurant.
According to onlookers, SF firefighters, and local reporters, the fire broke out this morning just after 10 a.m. and was extinguished by 11 a.m.
SF Firefighters reporting a working fire at a restaurant on Jackson and Battery Sts. Please avoid the area if possible. #yoursffd. Please be advised @sfmta_muni @AaronPeskin @LondonBreed pic.twitter.com/gAPW3lZPbu— SF Firefighters 798 (@SFFFLocal798) June 29, 2018
Smoke filling the air in FIDI near Jackson and front streets (building on fire is where Kokari restaurant is). pic.twitter.com/qWwlLdUUBs— Reggie Aqui (@reggieaqui) June 29, 2018
Kokkari has burned once before, in 2012, when a small fire evacuated the building. In that instance, it was also open by dinnertime.