Welcome to p.m. Intel, your bite-sized roundup of Bay Area food and restaurant news. Tips are always welcome, drop them here.
- Officials in Oakland’s Chinatown responded to the shootings in Atlanta and ongoing violence against Asian American residents and elders in the East Bay. “It’s important that we all be sad and we all be angry, any time this happens,” according to Michael Lok, public affairs officer with the Organization of Chinese Americans (OCA). Lok tells Hoodline that the uptick in robberies and assaults locally could be connected to Lunar New Year, which many Chinese American families celebrated on February 12. “[A]round the around the time of Lunar New Year, which just passed, folks carry a little bit more cash in their pockets to give red envelopes for the New Year,” he says. OCA has issued warnings about theft in previous years, according to Hoodline. [Hoodline]
- Chikara Ono, the acclaimed East Bay restaurateur behind B-Dama and Delage, updates Berkeleyside Nosh on the status of his four brick-and-mortar restaurants, which have remain closed during the pandemic. While his popular Swan’s Market izakaya B-Dama will remain closed, Ono reportedly has plans to reopen Delage, Utzutzu, and Masabaga in the coming months. The two pop-up restaurants he launched at Berkeley Bowl West — Dela Curo and Sundo — will also be continuing. [Berkeleyside Nosh]
- Nima Alizadeh, owner of Beta Lounge in Berkeley, is taking over Palo Alto wine bar Vino Locale. The bar’s former owners, who opened a second location in Santa Cruz in 2018, announced the change in an email to customers this week. Alizadeh will be making changes to the space and menu, according to the email, but it’s not clear whether they will be taking cues from Beta Lounge, which serves street tacos, focaccia, and Mediterranean fare. [Palo Alto Online]
- Michelin-starred Mexican fine dining restaurant Californios has reopened at its new home in SoMa. Reservations for outdoor dining are now available through April. [Tablehopper]
- Eater San Francisco is on the hunt for a new lead editor. Is that you?