Welcome to p.m. Intel, your bite-sized roundup of Bay Area food and restaurant news. Tips are always welcome, drop them here.
- There’s an alluring new spot for sashimi, oysters, and caviar — perhaps an unnecessary luxury, but attractive nonetheless — coming to the South Bay, per the SF Chronicle. Called One Fish Raw Bar, the seafood restaurant will debut in Campbell from chef Trent Lidgey, who previously worked at Michelin-starred Atelier Crenn and Uni, a chic hotel sushi spot in Boston. Expect plates to range from the approachable (lobster rolls, kale salads) to the aspirational (house-cured anchovies with roasted garlic aioli and pan Viennoise). [SF Chronicle]
- Oakland-based food truck Royal Egyptian Cuisine is in a tough spot: according to posts on the business’ Twitter, someone stole the owner’s barbecue trailer. Chef Elmy Kader has been serving Egyptian food in the East Bay for years, including dishes such as slow-cooked fava beans called ful medames, which the Chron’s former columnist Jonathan Kauffman described as “saturated with tomatoes and garlic, enough to counteract the favas’ underlying funk, and finished with a dollop of tahini,” in 2017. In an email, a spokesperson for the business Sharon Cropper says the chef is working with Oakland police to try to track the trailer down.
Hi, this is Sharon, I have bad new, the chef is devastated, someone, came in his yard where he keeps his truck and train, and they stole his BBQ train. Please keep a look out for it, and contact him. firstname.lastname@example.org. Reward if returned. Thank you for your help.— RoyalEgyptianCuisine (@EgyptianCuisine) July 14, 2021
- The city of San Jose filed a lawsuit in an attempt to close two local businesses, Agave Sports Bar & Grill and Meli’s Restaurant, according to reporting by the Mercury News. Agave Sports Bar made headlines in June after a man who was under the influence of alcohol and cocaine crashed his car into a group of people outside the bar, killing one woman and injuring two other people. The lawsuit filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court alleges the bar’s owners “encouraged prostitutes to solicit customers, allowed patrons to drive away when they are clearly inebriated and repeatedly violated public health orders aimed to curb the spread of COVID-19,” the Mercury News reports. [Mercury News]
- Meanwhile, an East Bay bar got the go-ahead to keep its back patio open despite calls from neighbors to have the city shut it down. Downtown Alameda watering hole Club House has been stirring up controversy in the neighborhood — community members filed a full 58 pages of public comments to the city’s Planning Board — with some residents saying drinkers hanging out on the bar’s rear patio can be noisy — a nuisance, even. Nevertheless, the East Bay Times reports that in a unanimous vote the board approved a use permit for the bar’s existing patio under two conditions: bar-goers can neither smoke nor enjoy live music out back. [East Bay Times]
- And on the Peninsula, San Carlos restaurants and retail shops on Laurel Street reached a compromise that allows the restaurants to keep their parklets, according to the Daily Journal. There’d been friction between needs of the area’s restaurant owners and shop owners, who told the city the restaurants’ parklets left their customers with limited parking. As a solution, the city council will allow only some restaurants (those open for lunch and dinner at least 5 days a week) to keep their parklets, which frees up more parking spaces for shoppers. [Daily Journal]