Welcome to a.m. Intel, your bite-sized roundup of Bay Area food and restaurant news. Tips are always welcome, drop them here.
- A fire at the now-closed location of August 1 Five restaurant is under investigation and believed to be “suspicious in nature,” the SF Fire Department told SFGATE. The single-alarm fire started overnight on August 21 and caused damage to the restaurant, which has been closed since December 2020. Back then owner Hetal Shah told Hoodline that construction in the area, coupled with the pandemic, made it impossible to keep the restaurant open, which was known for its lush dining room and upscale Indian menu. The fire appears to have primarily impacted the restaurant’s parklet, which has been boarded up since August 1 Five’s closing. [SFGATE]
- Oakland’s Souley Vegan is expanding with a new, mostly outdoor space called the Back Porch. It will be a spot for more upscale food and drinks, reports Hoodline, and will be located just behind the restaurant in a spot that formerly was home to Beer Revolution. Look forward to a menu of Cajun food including vegan proteins, cheeses, and sauces. [Hoodline]
- SFGATE also brings the story of a “quiet residential” neighborhood’s fight against a “mysterious” startup. Per the story, residents of Oakland’s tree-lined Golden Gate neighborhood are upset that a location of CloudKitchens, the ghost kitchen company with connections to ex-Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, is mucking up traffic. Neighbors also say the business is misclassified as a commissary kitchen. [SFGATE]
- Reservations are now open for Estiatorio Ornos a Michael Mina Restaurant, the Greek seafood spot that’s taking over the chef’s fine-dining flagship location at 252 California Street. Head to the restaurant’s website to book a table on or after September 18.
- In early August a fire burned a portion of Big Sur’s historic Lucia Lodge — including the resort’s store and restaurant. Now the cliffside destination has organized a GoFundMe to attempt to raise money to build back. One week in the business has earned $6,615 toward the $10,000 goal.