It's time to update the Eater 38, your answer and ours to any question that begins, “Can you recommend a restaurant?” This highly elite group covers the entire city, spans myriad cuisines, and collectively satisfies all of your restaurant needs, save for those occasions when you absolutely must spend half a paycheck. Every couple of months, we'll be adding pertinent restaurants that were omitted, have newly become eligible (restaurants must be open at least six months), or have stepped up their game.
This time around, after much reflection and study of reader emails and comments, we're taking out Maverick due to the recent loss of Matt Brimer. In its place goes Bar Crudo, the bustling Divisadero St. seafood spot with a smart enough menu to warrant cross-town trips.
For those of you readying the pitchforks because your favorite restaurant isn't on the list—or because you can't live without Maverick's fried chicken—wouldn't it just be more productive to leave your thoughts in the comments? You can also state your cases for (or against) restaurants by sending a note over the tipline.
Additions and Subtractions:
· October, 2010: Frances, The Alembic, Nopalito, Baker & Banker, Tony’s Pizza Napoletana, added; Coco 500, Zuni, Absinthe, Magnolia Brewery, Boulevard, dropped
· December, 2010: Mission Chinese Food, Absinthe, La Taqueria, La Ciccia, Gitane, Wayfare Tavern, Prospect, added; R&G Lounge, Coi, 15 Romolo, A16, Blue Bottle Café, Tadich Grill, Sebo, dropped
· April, 2011: Zuni Cafe, La Torta Gorda, added; Town Hall, Nopalito, dropped
· July, 2011: Roam Artisan Burgers, Lers Ros Thai, added; Namu, Ame, dropped
· October, 2011: Bar Crudo, added; Maverick, dropped